Monday, July 25, 2011

Here I am!

I, Rebekah Schulz-Jackson, have officially moved to Liberal, Kansas.

After spending last night at my parents' house in Kansas City, I drove out west for good today. It was strange when I realized that I'm not going back to Minnesota. Like for a really long time. And then even when I do, I'm coming back "home", which will mean here, with the cows and the corn and the wheat.

It is strange.

But it is also good, I think. Tomorrow I get to sign my first-ever lease on our apartment/townhouse here. I am SO excited to have our first place! (And I will be even more excited when the rest of our stuff, and far more importantly my husband, arrives too!) We've been sort of "playing house" (or that's what it feels like, anyway) since we got married, and it will be awesome to get to set everything up just how we like it from the ground up.

I'm also really excited and nervous to start to meet some of my school colleagues. Tomorrow I have my first day of training for school. It's for a program called Capturing Kids' Hearts -- and that's our discipline program at my school. Isn't that great?!?!?! Basically the point is that if you can capture kids' hearts, then their brains come along. The focus is on forming strong connections and relationships with the kids in order to facilitate better and deeper learning and behavior. SO HAPPY. (FYI, this is one of the reasons I loved this school enough to drag us across the country! Well, and let's be real... jobs are good. But this is also a good job.)

Anyway. I'm starting to put some toes in, and I'm excited. So I am telling you about it on this blog that I have just made up.

Arrival: Check.
Day One on the Prairie: On Deck.

~Rebekah

2 comments:

  1. Sounds a little bit like - Discipline that Connects with Your Child's Heart!

    Love it - love the updates. But remember - I've been married twenty five years, in the same house for 19 of those years, and it still feels like playing house. Hope it always does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS a really cool way to understand discipline for a school! The name is a little corny, but I agree 100% with the idea of relationships/connection as the foundation of all of it. :)

    Also, CONGRATS on the new place!!! As you know, David and I had a similar experience of waiting several months into our marriage before we had our OWN place. It definitely feels different when you can call it your own. I'm sure you two will have soooo much fun getting to be a married couple in your own little house. Yay!

    P.S. I love the title of your blog!

    ReplyDelete