Friday, September 9, 2011

Daniel´s Homework

As we´ve STARTED to get on top of the moving in / becoming grownups logistics, I´ve started to move into doing "homework". One of the important things for me to be doing while we´re down here is to research and study some areas of passion/interest/calling of mine that my biochem regimen did not allow me to study much in college. Of course, my time of self-guided study in the next year or so will greatly influence what kind of study/work I´ll want to move toward next in life.

So, to do that, I have to make myself homework, and deadlines. Here is some homework I assigned myself a week and a half ago, including indications of whether I actually did it. I kind of fell off the horse after the long weekend, missing my "simple living" homework deadlines. But I am crawling back onto the horse. I´m realizing that I can´t just be all-or-nothing, housework or homework. It has to be a blend, or I get dreadfully behind on one, and then over correct... etc.


RESEARCH QUESTIONS / ASSIGNMENTS:
Ø  THU, SEP 1: (DONE.) What is our current financial reality, and how does it project into the future?
Ø  IF I CAN SNEAK IT IN: (DONE) A general assessment of room for improvement of our lifestyle in relation to resource usage.
Ø  FRI, SEP 2: (DONE) How would owning vs. liquidating our car affect our financial reality over time?

Ø  MON, SEP 5: (NOT DONE) Give a BRIEF overview of types of simple living communities.
Ø  TUE, SEP 6: (NOT DONE) Assess (preliminarily) what communities and in what ways I/we would like to visit to learn about, and explain choices. Include summaries and thoughts about selected communities.

Ø  WED, SEP 7: (INVITED) Invite pastor Chuck to coffee. At coffee, ask about many things:
o   Simple living: what have you seen, what would you want to see?
o   What is CCC like? (staff, volunteers, hierarchy, affiliation, belief and action statements, comparisons, etc.)
o   Hispanic outreach: What aspects have you considered? (TALK ABOUT THIS W/ RSJ FIRST)
o   Various ministries: How to get involved? (youth, music, spanish)

Ø  FRI, SEP 9: (STARTED) An introductory summary of “where I´m at and what´s next with worldview” with questions of epistemology, faith, scripture, value, etc. Make references to previous papers I have written. (This will include organizing some old archives into a more permanent storage system.) Make brief reference to authors already read, but do not attempt to “further develop” views through additional reading. Evaluate strengths and weaknesses, and suggest next learning needed.

Ø  WED, SEP 14: (Assuming that “where I´m at”, as expected, leads imminently to questions of scriptural authority) “Where i´m at and what´s next with belief in scriptural authority” Describe my current view of scriptural authority, including explaining and then evaluating my various lines of evidence and reasoning.


So, I wanted to share my self-homework with you all. In the absence of a professor, the accountability of having to write (honestly) DONE or NOT DONE on my assignments on the blog is good motivator. It actually helped me finish one assignment and start another just tonight. So thanks all for your accountability help, just by being interested enough to read up!

Peace,

Daniel

1 comment:

  1. Hey so we're sending you a letter tomorrow morning on the way to church. And you will get it. actually. maybe in return you could share some of your homework with us??? I'm especially interested in what you've learned about simple-living communities, and in your world-view and scripture thoughts. And I know we've said it a million times in the last weeks, but we both miss you like crazy and think about you a lot. love, Bethany

    ReplyDelete