Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Respawesome Labor Day Weekend

First, you should know that "respawesome" is a combination of "respect" and "awesome" that my kids made up to write on their social contract. I rather liked it, so I'm stealing it. =)

Second, this past weekend has been FABULOUS! I will now proceed to tell you why.

ROUND ONE: RESPAWESOME KIDS

This past Friday was really exciting because I finally got to put up some of the posters that my kids have been working so hard on. I was SO STOKED to see the fantastic work some of them did! And I can't wait to see the faces of the kids whose posters made the bulletin board! Here's what it looks like:


The elements of plot, by my awesome 8th graders! (You can't really see, but on the third one over the climax of the story is taking place in the form of an epic ninja fight on top of a volcano as a meteor is about to strike. And yes, one of the examples for conflict is a picture of Jesus armwrestling the Devil. I LOVE MY KIDS!!!)


ROUND TWO: RESPAWESOME DISCUSSIONS

Bad News: This weekend I found out that a friend of mine who has been married less than a year is getting a divorce. Sad day! And it made me get kinda scared, because yeah everyone and their mother is getting married right now... but then this was a reminder that just because they're happy now doesn't mean it will last. Not all the unions are solid ones. Sad/scary/aughhhhhhh!

Good News: Talking about that realization was really good for us. In true Daniel And Rebekah Fashion, we actually talked about what would cause us to get a divorce if we ever got to that point. It was fantastic and connective (as many of our hard discussions are) to be able to be so open about what is hard for us to deal with in our marriage. In the end, we mainly just decided that we really really like each other, but we also had some good discussion about a few other things, which fed into some of my later realizations (see below).


ROUND THREE: RESPAWESOME CHURCH

Heard a fantastic sermon (and participated in a fantastic Bible study) on Sunday about urgency -- like who knows how many days we have on this earth, and what would we do differently if we knew the number of our days? That sort of thing. We also talked about our "inside (the body of Christ)" and "outside (the body of Christ)" callings. This basically led me to two further realizations: One, life is too short to leave things unsaid (so I wrote a letter to apologize for some things that have been weighing on my heart for a long time). Two, life is too short to keep putting off changes until tomorrow.

To expound on that second point, I realized that I share Daniel's call to simplify -- including potentially going auto-less, pending much deliberation, research, and bicycle-training (and some weather data-gathering about Liberal winters!). I really like the idea that we could do so much more in terms of tithing and ministry support with the money we currently spend on a vehicle. Plus I'd actually be exercising -- something I don't really do but have been meaning to pick up ever since I stopped playing volleyball in high school. (FYI, in case you're wondering "But how will you GO anywhere?????", the answer is, from near to far, "bikommuting" aka bike commuting but I like my word better, "hire a ride from our awesome neighbors who have already expressed willingness to chauffeur a bit", or "take the Greyhound from Garden City". Or, in the case of emergencies, "fly from Liberal via Denver".) Basically this weekend I just had the "perfect storm" of Daniel's poking, great thinking/reflection time, and a "holy 2-by-4" sermon to make me realize that simplicity isn't just Daniel's crazy deal -- it's part of our shared calling together.


ROUND FOUR: RESPAWESOME HOUSE-OLDIFYING

This weekend we also finally got around to putting up all our wall decorations. It's funny, because it looks really good and all... but having nice framed photos and paintings in our bedroom definitely makes me feel old! My brain is like, "What? Where are the Legos and taped-up posters? What about all my cool drawings? How about the notecards and picture collages from college? Where did they go?? WHY IS MY ROOM SO ADULT-Y????"

So that's a little weird, haha. But we'll get used to it. It does look nice... I'm just not used to having my bedroom be "nice"!


Anyways, that's about all I've got. But man, was it a great weekend! =D

Off to go on a sunset bike ride -- hope you all are well, and do please drop us a line sometime!

~Rebekah

No comments:

Post a Comment